Headed to Austin, Texas today for a friend’s wedding!
Tonight and tomorrow night we’ll be staying about 45 minutes outside the city in the Texas Hill Country, close to the vineyards where the wedding will be held. Then Sunday and Monday we’ll be in downtown Austin by the Texas Capitol, exploring the city for the first time. I’ve never been to Austin (or anywhere in Texas), so I’m not sure what to expect – but I only hear good things from my friends who used to live there.
I’ve asked friends for Austin recommendations and their responses include:
- Get some proper Tex-Mex at the Chuy’s on Barton Springs. It’s also where Jenna Bush got arrested for underage drinking.
- South Congress Avenue has a lot of good food.
- Go to 6th Street for bars and music – but live music is to be found all over the city, every night.
- Mozart’s is an excellent coffee shop that has beautiful views over the lake.
- Take a hike up to Mt. Bonnell and watch the sunrise/set!
- More recommendations for good eats: Las Manitas Diner downtown. Ruby’s BBQ on Guadalupe. Chuy’s in multiple locations. The Saltlick BBQ in Driftwood (outside of the city).
- See the nightly bat extravaganza at the Congress St. Bridge.
- Try Gourdough’s donuts.
- Bows + Arrows is an amazing boutique. And there are plenty of other good boutiques around there.
Add your own suggestions as a comment here if you’ve ever been to Austin!