Aesthetics of Everywhere

The urban scene, its people and processes. Based in southern California.

Day in the Life of a Cycle Tourist

with 9 comments

7 or 8 AM: Usually we’re waking by now. We don’t set an alarm most of the time; we wake when the sun starts to heat up the tent, beating us awake. Wash, eat breakfast, and pack up camp at a leisurely pace.

Waking Up at Camp

8 or 9 AM: Loaded up and hitting the road.

10 AM: Around 15 to 20 miles into our day, we take our first break to have a snack and reapply sunscreen. We eat whatever’s on hand – fruit, nuts, bars. Lately we’ve been taking to the Pearson’s Salted Nut Rolls (cheap, gas station version of a Clif Bar) or one of these Krispy treats when we can get them.

Tuxedo Krispy

11:30 AM: Time to eat “first lunch,” one of the most important meals of the day. If we can’t find a diner (our top choice) or someplace else to grab an inexpensive meal in town, we’ll usually cook in a city park’s picnic pavilion, or, in rare instances, just make peanut butter sandwiches on the side of the road somewhere.

Diner Breakfast at the Viking Cafe

12 PM: More riding.

2 PM: Second lunch, if we’re feeling hungry. If not, just a big snack. We often take this time to look up where we might camp that night. Call nearby campgrounds or the town hall or perhaps a Warm Showers host, and hopefully resume riding with a sense of finality.

4 PM: Ideally we’re getting close to our destination by now. However, sometimes we ride until 7 or 8 in the evening, depending on wind conditions, amount of climbing, etc). Luckily there are plenty of daylight hours in the summer.

6 PM: Set up camp. We split the duties. Usually I’ll start cooking dinner while Adam sets up the tent, then we’ll eat – and shower if we have access to one.

Campsite

8 PM: Read, write, stretch. Usually hit the hay around 9 or 10 PM because we can’t help falling asleep at nightfall.

Written by Crystal Bae

July 8th, 2013 at 10:10 am

9 Responses to 'Day in the Life of a Cycle Tourist'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Day in the Life of a Cycle Tourist'.

1. I love entries like this, where I can vicariously live a day as a bike tourist. And of course, I love reading about food. 🙂

Lisa

8 Jul 13 at 8:30 pm

2. Food definitely becomes a central concern when riding. It’s a good excuse to eat extra meals!

Crystal Bae

12 Jul 13 at 10:26 pm

3. Wow..
    thats awesome 🙂

Karthick

8 Jul 13 at 10:19 pm

4. I also love posts like this. I’m sitting in a gray cubicle and I can’t even see a window from where I’m sitting. At least I rode my bike to work today. Thanks for sharing and keep the updates coming.

Tom

9 Jul 13 at 10:56 am

5. I remember sitting in a cubicle to be a very productive time to daydream about future trips. 🙂

Crystal Bae

12 Jul 13 at 10:27 pm

6. Amazing, amazing journey. Thanks for sharing it with us. I am learning a lot about some places in our country!

Liz MacGregor

9 Jul 13 at 11:14 am

7. Love that you’re following along! I’m learning a lot and love to share. Maybe I’ll write about the Montana double-toilet bathroom phenomenon soon.

Crystal Bae

12 Jul 13 at 10:29 pm

8. I recall that when I rode all day long, it was all about food. Once that need was taken care of I could enjoy the scenery, at least until the grumbling belly became paramount again.

I was always exhausted and could fall asleep by darkness.

Thanks for letting us ride along with you.

anniebikes

10 Jul 13 at 7:17 am

9. It’s easy to forget to eat enough, and sometimes when I’m feeling in a rut it turns out I needed to eat (even if I didn’t feel hungry). Thanks for reading and commenting!

Crystal Bae