Archive for April, 2016
Our inaugural “Takotor” ride in February found a group of us cycling thirty miles around Santa Barbara and Carpinteria, sampling local taco joints. Thanks to visiting friends Hyunoo and Tif for inspiring us to show you a bit of California living.
Hungry riders: 8
And we’re already thinking of the second mouthwatering Takotor, so keep your ears to the ground for the next round.
Taco (and burrito) purveyors: 5
- Stacky’s Seaside in Summerland (now closed, I hear) for breakfast burritos
- Taqueria Rincon Alteno, a gas station taqueria in Carpinteria with loaded up veggie tacos
- Tacos Don Roge, close to Carpinteria beach
- Taqueria La Colmena in Santa Barbara, a near-unanimous fave by the group
- Taqueria El Bajio in Santa Barbara
Ratings collected through TakoScore: 34
At our second stop, Sheldon came up with a quick and easy taco rating system so we could collect our comparisons of all the taquerias visited throughout the day. And thus TakoScore was born! It evolved throughout the day to include previously-overlooked metrics. In the end, we landed on measuring the following aspects of each taco purveyor: taste, mouthfeel, ingredients, ambiance, salsas, and the open-to-interpretation sexiness.
Brewery stops: 2
Stopped for pints at Island Brewing and BrewLAB in Carpinteria.
Cafe breaks: 1
Just the one stop at one of our favorite Carp joints, Lucky Llama!
To the dismay of our ridership, once we finally located the mystical churro shop, they had run out of churros for the day. Next TakoTor must return.